How to Write a Statement for Your Car Accident Attorney
If you were recently hurt in a motor-vehicle collision, a knowledgeable personal injury attorney can help you seek compensation from the at-fault party. As long as you turn to a resourceful firm, your lawyer should be able to investigate the circumstances surrounding the crash, compile evidence of liability, and negotiate for a satisfactory payout. Should the opposing party prove uncooperative, an attorney can also guide you through any subsequent litigation.
You can ensure your claim gets off to a strong start by preparing a statement for your lawyer. Not to be confused with the statement the insurance adjuster requests (which you should avoid providing until your attorney gives the go-ahead), this document will shed light on what happened, so your legal team can determine how best to proceed.
If you’re wondering what to include in your statement, start by recounting the following:
- When and where the wreck occurred,
- What you were doing in the moments leading up to the accident,
- What you witnessed the other parties doing prior to the collision,
- The traffic conditions at the time,
- The weather conditions at the time,
- The number of first responders who attended to the scene,
- Whether police made any arrests before leaving the scene,
- Whether anyone who was involved took responsibility at the scene,
- How long it took the various insurance companies to reach out to you, and
- How soon you sought medical care and what your diagnosis was once you did.
How Else Can I Support My Legal Team’s Efforts?
Writing down everything you can remember about the incident in question isn’t the only way to help your car accident lawyer. You can also strengthen your claim by:
- Keeping a low profile on social media,
- Following all medical advice,
- Starting a personal injury journal in which you write about how your condition is hurting your overall quality of life,
- Referring all correspondence from the opposing party to your legal team,
- Taking reasonable measures to mitigate damages,
- Recording all injury-related expenses, and
- Preserving any photographs or video footage of the scene.
While there’s no way to guarantee any given claim will yield a payout, taking the steps above will at least give yours the best chance of success. Put another way, supporting your car accident attorney will increase the likelihood of securing compensation for the damages you incur. In Florida, recoverable damages include:
- Medical expenses,
- Lost wages,
- Property repairs,
- Home and vehicle modifications,
- Reasonably necessary replacement services,
- Pain and suffering,
- Emotional distress,
- Mental anguish, and
- Loss of enjoyment in life.
Tort law also recognizes the damages that spouses of injured parties incur. As such, they can seek compensation for loss of consortium. This encompasses the loss of love, support, and companionship they suffer because of their husband or wife’s condition.
Speak with a Lakeland Car Accident Lawyer
If you were seriously hurt in a motor-vehicle collision, you can count on Capaz Law Firm, P.A. for strategic legal guidance. Our compassionate team is devoted to helping injured parties recover what is rightfully theirs. Call 813-551-3907 or fill out our Contact Form to schedule a free case review with a car accident attorney in Lakeland.