Semi Truck Accident Lawyer
Causes of Semi Truck Accidents
Drivers share the road with semi trucks and commercial vehicles. These massive trucks can be difficult to maneuver and require special training. Semi trucks and their drivers are also subject to strict Department of Transportation regulations to help improve safety. However, even with all of these regulations, many things can go wrong and lead to semi tractor trailer accidents.
- Drug and Alcohol Use: Unfortunately, many crashes are caused by drivers who are under the influence of drugs and alcohol. When a driver is intoxicated, it is easy for them to lose control of the vehicle—especially when it comes to commercial semi trucks. Even some over-the-counter medications and prescriptions can slow reaction time and lead to an accident.
- Pressure to Perform: Semi truck drivers are often under pressure from their employer to meet deadlines or financial goals. This can lead to excess speed, aggressive driving and other negligent behavior. Drivers sometimes ignore bad weather or poor road conditions and fail to take the proper precautions. Additionally, commercial truck drivers may work longer shifts, leading to fatigue — a common problem in the trucking industry. Ultimately, tired or rushed driving leads to mistakes and these mistakes can be fatal.
- Improper Maintenance: Vehicle maintenance is vital for commercial trucks. When drivers fail to perform regular inspections, things can go wrong. Tires can blow out. Brakes fail. Lights fail. This leads to a dangerous driving environment which cause accidents.
- Distracted Driving: A semi truck accident can occur in seconds. That is why anything that takes a driver’s eyes off the road is hazardous. From talking on a cell phone, to texting, to reaching for items inside the truck, there are many things that distract drivers and lead to deadly accidents. That is why the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) has issued new regulations regarding cell phone use to help reduce semi truck accidents.
- Regulation Violation: Semi trucks are massive vehicles; some can weigh over 80,000 pounds. Collision are often catastrophic and that is why tractor trailer drivers are subject to federal safety regulations and required to undergo special training. Truckers have a responsibility to follow these regulations designed to improve safety for everyone on the road. When these rules are not followed, it can lead to devastating accidents.
Contact a Tampa Semi Truck Accident Attorney for Help With Your Case
- If you’ve been injured or have lost a loved one due to a semi truck accident in Tampa or anywhere in Florida, contact an accident lawyer with experience handling semi truck accidents. You have a right to hold the responsible party accountable. Call the Capaz Law Firm at (813) 440-2700 for your free consultation.
Million Dollar Advocates Forum ®
Dereck Capaz is a proud member of the Million Dollar Advocates Forum. The Million Dollar Advocates Forum is one of the most prestigious groups of trial lawyers in the United States.Learn more
Dereck Capaz was selected for inclusion and named in the 2009 – 2015 editions of Florida Super Lawyers.Learn more
Truck AccidentsView Resource Center
Request your FREE case evaluation today.
Complete the form below for a FREE case evaluation from our experienced team at the Capaz Law Firm.