Tampa Truck Accident Attorney
Collisions involving large tractor-trailers can be destructive, leaving victims with serious, sometimes deadly injuries—not to mention the burden of medical bills, lost income and other expenses. While victims have a right to file a claim, they must often face large insurance companies who will do everything in their power to minimize the compensation awarded. Tampa truck accident attorney Dereck Capaz can help you level the playing field and fight for a fair settlement.
An Experienced Truck Accident Attorney Can Help
Dereck Capaz is an experienced truck accident lawyer in Tampa who understands the differences and complexities of these types of cases, including their numerous causes and the injuries they leave behind. Mr. Capaz will know what to look for and will conduct a detailed investigation into all aspects of the accident to gather evidence to establish that the other party is at fault.
Dereck Capaz also understands the legal tactics often used by insurance companies and how to counter them. When choosing a lawyer, it is in your best interests to select someone with extensive experience in accident cases who can help you pursue the full compensation you deserve for your injury.
Choosing a Truck Accident Lawyer
Not all attorneys in Tampa offer high-quality legal representation. Let’s take a look at some of the factors that set our legal team apart:
- We Are Accessible: Filing a claim is often an anxiety-inducing and confusing experience. Not only may you encounter terms you are unfamiliar with, but it’s also not immediately clear what steps you will need to take to recover compensation. At Capaz Law Firm, we believe you deserve an attorney who always makes themselves available to answer your questions, provide updates on your case, and explain your role at each step of the proceedings.
- We Are Compassionate: There are some lawyers who prioritize only one thing: money. While helping you win your case is always a priority, this is only part of our commitment to providing effective, personalized representation. We will go the extra mile to take care of you and your family throughout the proceedings, taking steps to minimize stress and simplify the days ahead.
- We Are Experienced: Insurance companies are adept at dismantling even the strongest claim. Fortunately, over the years, our lawyers have become intimately familiar with the methods used by insurers to reduce or deny payouts. Not only will we oversee the logistics of your case, but we can also represent you throughout the proceedings to ensure that you are treated fairly.
- We Are Skilled Litigators: While most truck accident claims will never see the inside of a courtroom, you could still benefit from hiring a lawyer with a track record of success in litigation. If the claims adjuster is aware that you have the means to go to court, they may be less likely to challenge your case. Additionally, if opposing parties refuse to agree to a fair settlement, you can have peace of mind that your personal injury attorney has the knowledge and resources to provide effective representation during trial.
What Steps Should I Take After a Truck Accident?
Recovering a payout in the wake of a serious truck wreck is rarely a straightforward process. Not only are you likely going up against the combined resources of a trucking company and their insurer, but any errors you make along the way could also compromise your case. As such, your success—or failure—often hinges on the actions you take both immediately after the crash and during the weeks that follow.
Let’s take a look at some of the most important steps below:
- Collect and Compile Evidence from the Scene: If you were able to gather evidence at the accident scene, you should file this information away to share with your Tampa truck accident attorney. Your legal team may want to review the evidence you’ve collected to determine whether it could help prove liability and damages. Evidence that might contribute to the strength of your 18-wheeler accident claim could include dashcam footage, toxicology reports, the official police accident report, photos of your injuries and the scene of the wreckage, eyewitness testimony, and toxicology reports.
- Do Not Give a Recorded Statement: Once you’ve reported the accident to your insurer, the at-fault motorist’s provider might ask you for a recorded statement. However, until you’ve had a chance to investigate the collision and assess your damages, you might say something that contradicts other evidence in your case. It’s not unheard of for the claims adjuster to ask leading questions meant to elicit responses that could be used to dispute your claim.
- Seek Medical Treatment: Even if your injuries don’t seem that serious, it’s crucial that you undergo a comprehensive medical assessment after a crash. From brain trauma to internal injuries to whiplash, there are many conditions that might not present with symptoms immediately. Delaying a diagnosis could lead you to develop life-threatening health complications. Seeking immediate treatment can also help your attorney connect your injuries to the accident. If you delay your doctor’s visit, or skip this step entirely, opposing parties may assert that you suffered your injuries in a separate incident.
- Stay off Social Media: Whether you’re in considerable pain or struggling to process the trauma you’ve endured; your online circles can provide safe sanctuary in the aftermath of a wreck. While their support and guidance can help set your mind at ease, discussing the details of the accident, your injuries, or your claim could hurt your chances of obtaining a fair settlement. It’s possible that the insurer will dig through your social media feeds to find any posts that could be used as evidence to dispute your claim. For instance, you may have inadvertently admitted fault for causing the accident in a post detailing the visceral moments of this harrowing experience. As such, we will likely advise you to deactivate your online accounts until your case has concluded. However, if this isn’t possible in your situation, you should dial up your privacy settings and abstain from posting until your claim is resolved.
Truck Accident Wrongful Death Claims
If you have lost a loved one due to a truck accident, you may be able to file a wrongful death lawsuit on behalf of their estate. An experienced truck accident lawyer can help bring justice for your loved one by holding the at-fault party responsible.
In Florida, a personal representative of the deceased’s estate is typically the person authorized to initiate a wrongful death claim. He or she is required to act in the best interests of both the estate and the deceased’s surviving family members. As such, when the executor brings a suit, he or she will have to name the list of potential beneficiaries in the claim.
Let’s take a look at some of the damages that might be available to you and your family:
- The loss of the services and support the deceased provided to the surviving family members;
- The loss of the deceased’s protection, affection, and companionship;
- The loss of parental instruction, companionship, and guidance; and
- Funeral expenses and medical costs covered by a surviving family member.
In addition to the damages listed here, the deceased’s estate may also recover compensation for a wide range of damages, such as:
- Earnings, benefits, and other income lost during the period between the date the deceased sustained the injury and the date of their death;
- The value of wages and benefits the deceased would have earned had he or she survived the accident; and
- The medical costs and funeral expenses paid by the estate.
You will have up to two years after the deceased’s death to file a lawsuit against the liable parties. However, this deadline may be extended under certain circumstances. For instance, if your loved one’s death was caused by medical malpractice, and you only became aware of the cause of death after statute of limitations had expired, the courts may grant you additional time to take legal action.
Contact an Experienced Truck Accident Lawyer in Tampa
If you or a loved one has been injured in an accident, choose a truck accident lawyer who has the litigation skills necessary to provide quality representation. Capaz Law Firm is dedicated to providing personalized legal services to innocent victims who have been injured due to the negligence of others.
Contact us today to speak with an experienced accident attorney who will help you through this difficult time. Call 813-440-2700 for your free consultation.
Million Dollar Advocates Forum ®
Dereck Capaz is a proud member of the Million Dollar Advocates Forum. The Million Dollar Advocates Forum is one of the most prestigious groups of trial lawyers in the United States.Learn more
Dereck Capaz was selected for inclusion and named in the 2009 – 2015 editions of Florida Super Lawyers.Learn more