Tampa Tractor Trailer Accident Attorney
An accident involving a large truck, tractor-trailer, or other type of commercial vehicle can be terrifying for those involved because the impact is usually much greater than a typical collision. The injuries are usually more significant, typically resulting in serious bodily harm or death. Unfortunately, commercial vehicle and tractor-trailer accidents are becoming more common on our roadways.
Commercial drivers and truck drivers often cause accidents due to sleep deprivation, overweight vehicles, excessive speed, and/or failing to use proper caution on the road. Other common factors that contribute to trucking accidents include:
- Violations of federal regulations regarding hours of operation
- Cellphone usage, distraction
- Drug and alcohol use
- Improper loading
- Improper lighting
- The pressure to make “speedy” deliveries
- Failure to follow Department of Transport regulations
The employer or company for the responsible party (or its insurance company) will initiate an immediate investigation. Even when the truck driver’s liability is fairly clear, some insurance carriers and commercial companies will attempt to dispute liability and the severity and significance of the accident victim’s injuries in an effort to limit the financial recovery. For some companies, accidents are just a “cost of doing business”.
An Experienced Tractor Trailer Accident Attorney Can Help
Most large trucking companies have experienced defense lawyers and accident reconstruction experts on retainer before an accident occurs. A company’s insurer often utilizes its resources and expertise to resolve claims for the least possible settlement amount. If you have been injured in a tractor-trailer or commercial vehicle accident, it may be in your best interests to retain a Tampa truck accident attorney who has the negotiation and litigation skills necessary to pursue your claim aggressively if an insurer is unwilling to resolve your claim for the reasonable and fair value.
Dereck Capaz is a Tampa personal injury lawyer who has extensive knowledge and experience handling tractor-trailer and commercial vehicle accidents. Following his time as criminal prosecutor at the Hillsborough County State Attorney’s Office, he worked for a well-respected civil defense firm in Tampa, focusing most of his practice on tractor-trailer accidents and serious bodily injury cases. Mr. Capaz was one of the attorneys hired by large trucking companies and was on the “first response team” that was often called out to accident scenes involving death or catastrophic injuries.
What Should I Bring to My Initial Consultation?
Scheduling a case review with a skilled personal injury attorney can help you get the answers you need to make informed decisions about your case. While you can walk through our doors empty-handed and still benefit from a one-on-one consultation with a truck accident lawyer, it may be in your best interests to come prepared. The more information you can provide, the better insight we may be able to give into the strengths and weaknesses of your case.
Here are a few items you may want to bring along to your free case review:
- Medical Records: The type of injury you suffered, and the seriousness of your condition will shape how your attorney approaches your case. As such, your tractor trailer accident attorney may want to review your medical records during the initial consultation to estimate the value of your damages, identify other evidence that could help prove your claim, and develop strategies to help counter any disputes that you might encounter during proceedings.
- Work-Related Documents: Whether you had to take time off work to let your injuries heal or had to taper your hours so you could attend follow-ups and physical therapy sessions, you might be able to seek compensation for lost earnings. Your attorney will likely want to see proof of lost income such as pay stubs, income tax returns, bank statements, and letters from your employer.
- Evidence from the Accident Scene: If you took pictures at the crash scene, wrote down the contact details of eyewitnesses, or obtained dash cam footage of the accident, you should bring this evidence to share with your attorney. Such evidence can help corroborate your version of events. An accident reconstruction expert could also use this information to identify the liable parties.
- Invoices and Receipts: A truck accident claim can account for more than just your medical bills and lost wages. From the cost of repairing your vehicle to the expense of using alternative transportation, any losses stemming from the accident could be factored into the potential recovery. You should make copies of any relevant invoices, receipts, and bills for expenses such as home modifications, childcare, and replacement services. Your attorney will likely want to look at these documents as part of their investigation.
Tractor Trailer Accident Lawyers Dedicated to Helping the Injured
Capaz Law Firm is dedicated to providing personalized legal services to those individuals who have been injured due to the negligence or wrongful actions of another. If you have been involved in an accident involving a tractor-trailer or commercial vehicle and have sustained injuries, contact a Tampa truck accident lawyer at Capaz Law Firm at 813-440-2700.
Million Dollar Advocates Forum ®
Dereck Capaz is a proud member of the Million Dollar Advocates Forum. The Million Dollar Advocates Forum is one of the most prestigious groups of trial lawyers in the United States.Learn more
Dereck Capaz was selected for inclusion and named in the 2009 – 2015 editions of Florida Super Lawyers.Learn more
AV® Preeminent™ Rated
Dereck Capaz has earned the AV-Preeminent Rating for legal proficiency and ethical standards from Martindale-Hubbell and lawyers.com.Learn more
Request your FREE case evaluation today.
Complete the form below for a FREE case evaluation from our experienced team at the Capaz Law Firm.