Tampa Truck Accident Attorneys Seeking Justice And Compensation For Your Injuries
FHP Targeting Aggressive Car and Truck Drivers
The Florida Highway Patrol (FHP) is implementing an additional statewide enforcement period for the Ticketing Aggressive Cars and Trucks (TACT) campaign, which will run through June 30. The TACT campaign aims to reduce commercial motor vehicle related crashes, injuries and fatalities by highlighting the dangers of aggressive driving behaviors, such as following too closely, unsafe lane changes and speeding violations, when interacting with large trucks and commercial vehicles on the road.
Many drivers are impatient when behind the wheel; thus, it is unfortunate that aggressive driving is becoming a dangerous epidemic. The 2015 TACT campaign resulted in law enforcement issuing 138,547 traffic citations related to aggressive driving behaviors. The first TACT campaign in 2016 took place in March and 22,977 traffic citations were issued. Floridians should expect two more additional campaigns this year.
Tips to Avoid Truck Accidents
In addition to targeted enforcement on our roads, the Florida Highway Patrol is collaborating with the Florida Trucking Association to educate drivers on how to share the road safely with large trucks and commercial vehicles. The following tips are offered regarding safe interaction with large trucks:
- Don’t cut off trucks. The stopping distance for a large truck is very different than a passenger car. If a car is hit from behind by a truck, the results are often deadly.
- Stay out of the truck’s blind spots or “no zones.” In addition to the large rear blind spots, trucks have blind spots on both sides. Never pass a truck on the right side; it is the largest and longest blind spot. If you cannot see the driver’s face in his side-view mirror, he cannot see you! Always pass on the left side of the truck.
- Maintain a safe distance from the truck. It is never safe to tailgate any vehicle on the highway.
- Pass trucks with extreme caution. Remember to pass on the left side. Only change lanes when you can see both of the truck’s headlights in your rearview mirror.
- Pay attention to the road and do not drive distracted.
FHP’s TACT campaign is vital to the safety of motorists. Large truck and semi truck accidents are big problem in Florida, especially as our cities continue to grow and become more congested. Accidents involving semis, 18-wheeler tractor trailers, or other large trucks differ from traditional car accidents. These large trucks can weigh more than 80,000 pounds and can be as long as 60 feet. Thus, the consequences of a tractor trailer or large truck accident are often deadly.
Contact a Tampa Truck Accident Lawyer
If you have been involved in an accident with a large truck, commercial vehicle or semi, it is in your best interest to consult with an experienced truck accident attorney immediately. Contact our Tampa truck accident lawyers at the Capaz Law Firm for a free consultation. Call 813-440-2700.