Tampa Bicycle Accident Attorneys | Capaz Law Firm, P.A.
Tampa Bicycle & Pedestrian Accident AttorneysFlorida is known for its clear blue skies and outdoor activities. So, it is no wonder that the Sunshine State has one of the highest per capita populations of people who use bicycles as their primary mode of transportation. Unfortunately, with so many bicyclists on the road, there is an enhanced risk of bicycle crashes as evident by Tampa Bay being ranked as one of the top ten most dangerous cities for walking and biking. Hillsborough County Sheriff Office is working with Florida Department of Transportation to increase public awareness of bicycle safety and to conduct high-visibility patrols focused on bicyclists. Through May 15, HCSO deputies will be patrolling the following most active and danger-prone areas for bicyclists in Tampa (Hillsborough County):
- Fletcher Avenue (between Nebraska Avenue and Bruce B Downs Blvd)
- Waters Avenue (between Himes Avenue and Sheldon Road)
- Hillsborough Avenue (between George Road and Sheldon Road)
- Sheldon Road (between Linebaugh Avenue and Hillsborough Avenue)
- Know and obey all traffic rules of the road.
- Communicate with motorists (signal turns and lane changes).
- Use the bike lane, and if not available, stay to the right most side of the road.
- "Ride Big" -- be visible, wear bright clothing, use proper bike light.
- Focus on the road -- do not text and bike and do not wear headphones.
- Wear a helmet!
- Before making a right turn, look left and right for bicyclists or pedestrians.
- Florida law requires motorists to maintain a horizontal clearance of at least three feet when driving alongside (passing) a bicyclist.
- Yield to bicycles just as you would to any other vehicle.
- Avoid high beam headlights when approaching a bicyclist.
- Before opening a door, check for approaching bicyclists.