Being in a big rig accident can be frightening. You may not know what to do or who to call. But there are important steps that need to be taken promptly to help protect your well-being and to build evidence for your truck accident case.
1. Seek Medical Treatment: For serious injuries, it’s important to seek medical attention as soon as possible. However, it is also imperative to take minor injuries seriously. These injuries could get worse later on. A prompt medical exam can help you protect your health and may lead to a quicker recovery.
2. Call the Police: Always call the police to report the crash as soon as it happens. Police will create an official record of the accident.
3. Do not speak with the at fault driver’s insurance company: After talking with the police, do not discuss the accident with anyone until you have spoken with your attorney. You should contact your own insurance company but you should not provide information to the at fault driver’s insurance investigators without first seeking legal advice.
4. Take Photos: Take photos at the accident scene. Make sure to photograph any vehicles or other property that was involved. I is important to gather this evidence before it disappears. You should also photograph any injuries you sustained. All of these photos can be used as evidence in your case.
5. Gather Information: While law enforcement will collect information, you should understand that your accident is one of many issues they handle each day. It is in your best interest to gather as much information at the accident scene. Exchange contact information with others involved in the crash. Include names, phone numbers and addresses, along with insurance information. It is important to gather information while the crash is fresh in your mind.
6. Contact a Tampa Big Rig Accident Lawyer: If you or a loved one has been involved in a big rig accident in Tampa, or anywhere in Florida, contact the Capaz Law Firm to speak with an experienced truck accident lawyer who has the knowledge and skills to handle your truck accident injury claim. Call (813) 440-2700 for your free consultation.
Dereck Capaz is a proud member of the Million Dollar Advocates Forum. The Million Dollar Advocates Forum is one of the most prestigious groups of trial lawyers in the United States.
Dereck Capaz was selected for inclusion and named in the 2009 – 2015 editions of Florida Super Lawyers.
Dereck Capaz has earned the AV-Preeminent Rating for legal proficiency and ethical standards from Martindale-Hubbell and lawyers.com.
Request your FREE case evaluation today.
Complete the form below for a FREE case evaluation from our experienced team at the Capaz Law Firm.