Florida Pedestrian Accident Attorney
Walking is excellent for both mental and physical health. It’s also better for the environment when compared to fossil fuel-powered vehicles. But there’s one drawback to commuting on foot; you’re at risk of severe injury or death in even a minor collision with a motor vehicle. If you were hurt in such a scenario, turn to a Florida pedestrian accident attorney for help.
Most pedestrians don’t stop to think about how dangerous their walk could be. Yet, every day in Florida, lives are lost or changed forever due to pedestrian accidents. What’s even worse is that most of these accidents are preventable.
With very little or no protection against a motor vehicle, pedestrians rarely escape a collision unscathed. If you suffered injuries in such a circumstance, you may be entitled to financial damages. Call our office today at 813-440-2700 to speak with a pedestrian accident attorney in Florida.
Negligence Is a Leading Cause of Pedestrian Accidents
Most pedestrian accidents can be traced back to the negligence of a driver or another party. Pedestrian accident victims don’t need to go it alone when it comes to establishing liability. A pedestrian accident lawyer in Florida can help you conduct the investigation, compile evidence, and plot the way forward.
Below are a few common causes of pedestrian accidents:
- Driver Distraction: Drivers talking or typing on cell phones put pedestrians, other motorists, and their passengers at risk. Sometimes it’s also their passengers, GPS, or sound systems that cause the distraction.
- Driver Impairment: Motorists who drive while impaired by drugs or alcohol are especially dangerous to pedestrians. It’s not uncommon for intoxicated drivers to plow through crosswalks against traffic lights or make left turns directly into a group of unsuspecting pedestrians.
- Drivers Impatience: Generally speaking, under Florida law, pedestrians have the right of way. Drivers who lack patience and fail to watch out for pedestrians on the road or try to drive around those already in crosswalks cause many severe accidents.
- Road Construction: Everyone knows the inconveniences and headaches caused by road construction. However, what many might not be familiar with is that roadway construction can make pedestrians walk where drivers won’t expect them to be. Sidewalks and crosswalks may be torn up and unavailable, giving pedestrians limited options. Even still, drivers should be on the lookout for pedestrians in construction zones.
- Left Turns: When drivers prepare to make a left turn, they are often focused on negotiating the busy intersection in front of them. They fail to remember that at any point, a pedestrian could be using the sidewalk perpendicular to them to cross the street. Therefore, pedestrians are often at risk when vehicles turn left.
- Multi-Lane / Arterial Roads: Arterial roads can also represent a grave danger to pedestrians. Motorists must deal with other drivers switching lanes, breaking the speed limit, or tailgating in these areas. As such, they are much more focused on what other drivers are doing than on looking out or possible pedestrians in the area.
Contact a Florida Pedestrian Accident Attorney
Anyone who has become a victim in a pedestrian accident should contact an experienced Florida pedestrian accident lawyer as soon as possible after seeking medical attention. At Capaz Law Firm, we know that accidents can happen at any time of the day or night.
We staff our phone lines 24/7 to be available to you. Call our office today at 813-440-2700 or send us an email through our online contact form to schedule your complimentary consultation. We won’t charge any fees unless you win.
Million Dollar Advocates Forum ®
Dereck Capaz is a proud member of the Million Dollar Advocates Forum. The Million Dollar Advocates Forum is one of the most prestigious groups of trial lawyers in the United States.Learn more
Dereck Capaz was selected for inclusion and named in the 2009 – 2015 editions of Florida Super Lawyers.Learn more
Request your FREE case evaluation today.
Complete the form below for a FREE case evaluation from our experienced team at the Capaz Law Firm.