Tampa DUI Accident Attorney
When someone drives under the influence of drugs and alcohol, they put the lives of others at risk. If you or a loved one has been injured or killed in a crash with an intoxicated motorist, you have a right to hold the negligent driver accountable. Contact a Tampa DUI accident attorney at Capaz Law Firm for a free consultation.
We can come to you if you are unable to come to our office. Dial 813-440-2700 to learn more.
An Experienced DUI Accident Attorney Can Help
If you were hit by a drunk driver, it is in your best interests to contact an attorney immediately. Dereck Capaz is a DUI accident lawyer in Tampa who can advise you on what to do next, and can begin investigating your crash and gathering evidence to build a case against the negligent driver. Since evidence can quickly disappear, it’s important to seek legal guidance as soon as possible.
Florida DUI Accident Statistics
Unfortunately, DUI accidents are common in Florida. According to the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles Traffic Crash Facts Annual Report for 2012, there were:
- 17,258 alcohol-related/suspected crashes resulting in 877 fatalities and 12,066 injuries
- 1,798 drug-related/suspected crashes resulting in 200 fatalities and 1,435 injuries
Common Damages in a Car Wreck Claim
If you’ve suffered a serious injury after a DUI accident, you may file a personal injury lawsuit to seek compensation for medical bills, lost wages and more. In the event you lost a loved one, you may also seek funeral costs and other damages with a wrongful death lawsuit. An experienced auto accident attorney at Capaz Law Firm can review your case and determine what damages you may be entitled to.
Let’s take a look at some of these damages in more detail below:
- Lost Earnings: Whether you were fighting for your life in hospital or stuck at home recovering from your injuries, you may have been unable to work for an extended period after the accident. In Florida, you can recover compensation for such lost earnings but only if you have sufficient proof that you were not able to work. Your attorney might consult with industry experts who can provide deposition or testimony regarding the ways in which your condition impedes your ability to do your job. Letters from your employer can also help demonstrate your reduced earning capacity. The value of such damages may depend on a variety of factors such as your average income before the accident and the number of days you had to take off.
- Pain and Suffering: A serious injury can lead to significant mental and physical distress. The psychological effects of your injuries are usually classed as non-economic damages and—due to their intangible nature—can be tough to quantify. Depending on the severity of your injuries and the long-term impact of your condition on your quality of life, non-economic damages can range from a few thousand dollars to a multi-million-dollar payout. Attorneys have widely accepted methods for approximating fair compensation for such damages. For instance, your DUI accident attorney might multiply your total compensatory damages by a number between 1.5 to 5. This number is usually based on the seriousness of your condition.
- Medical Expenses: Doctor’s visits, procedures, prescription medication, physical therapy, and hospital stays; these are just some of the expenses accident victims incur through the course of their treatment. Virtually any medical bills stemming from the accident—both past and future—may be recoverable as part of your claim.
- Punitive Damages: From billboards to television slots, we’re constantly reminded of the dangers of drinking and driving. After all, alcohol slows your reactions, impairs your judgment, and affects muscle function, making drunk drivers a serious threat to others on the road. In Florida, punitive damages are introduced to punish the defendant if it can be shown that their behavior was particularly harmful. When someone chooses to get behind the wheel while intoxicated, it shows a reckless disregard for the safety of others. As such, you may be able to build a case for punitive damages.
Contact a Tampa Drunk Driving Accident Lawyer
If you or a loved one has been injured or killed in a DUI accident, contact Capaz Law Firm to speak with a Tampa auto accident attorney. We are dedicated to helping victims get justice when they’ve been injured by a negligent driver in any kind of accident. We will fight to hold the negligent party accountable and seek compensation for your injuries. Call 813-440-2700 for your free consultation.
Million Dollar Advocates Forum ®
Dereck Capaz is a proud member of the Million Dollar Advocates Forum. The Million Dollar Advocates Forum is one of the most prestigious groups of trial lawyers in the United States.Learn more
Dereck Capaz was selected for inclusion and named in the 2009 – 2015 editions of Florida Super Lawyers.Learn more
Request your FREE case evaluation today.
Complete the form below for a FREE case evaluation from our experienced team at the Capaz Law Firm.