Commercial Trucking Accident Lawyer in Tampa
Frequently Asked Questions: Commercial Vehicle Accidents
1. Are commercial truck accidents common? Yes. In 2011, more than 287,000 large commercial trucks were involved in vehicle accidents in the United States, resulting in 88,000 personal injuries and 3,757 deaths.
2. What are the common causes of commercial truck accidents? Many things can cause a commercial vehicle accident, such as driver fatigue or inattention, driver intoxication, falling or shifting cargo, tire blowouts, faulty inspections and improper truck maintenance. Therefore, truck drivers must follow strict guidelines which govern the amount of hours worked, the loading of cargo, the maneuvering of vehicles, and more. Accidents are typically caused when a driver fails to follow the proper procedures.
3. Should I seek medical attention after an accident even if I feel okay? Yes. Injuries are not always obvious and visible. Following a trucking accident, your body could be full of adrenaline, which could temporarily dull injury symptoms. It is in your best interest to seek a medical examination to determine the nonexistence of any injuries, or to determine and document the existence of any injuries.
4. Can I seek damages if I have been injured as a result of a commercial truck accident that occurred in Tampa or anywhere else in Florida? Yes. If you have been injured in a trucking accident as a result of another’s negligence, you have a right to pursue litigation to seek recovery for damages of medical costs, pain and suffering, lost wages and/or property damage.
5. Can I pursue a claim on behalf a family member who died as a result of a commercial vehicle accident Yes. If a family member’s death was caused as a result of another’s negligence, you may be able to pursue a wrongful death lawsuit on behalf of your loved one.
6. Can multiple parties be considered at fault for my accident? Yes. Accidents involving commercial vehicles and trucks can be complicated, therefore, it is possible that more than one person could be considered at fault for the accident. For example, if a truck driver has knowledge of malfunctioning equipment but does not bother to fix it, both the truck driver and his employer could be negligent for the accident.
7. When should I present a claim for injuries and damages arising from the commercial vehicle accident? It’s best to file a claim soon after an accident. It is wise to retain a trucking accident attorney who will promptly investigate your claim, interview witnesses, preserve relevant evidence, and assist with obtaining the appropriate medical care. The statute of limitations restricts the amount of time to file a claim and varies based upon the type of claim. In Florida, the statute of limitations for an auto accident is typically four years; however, the statute of limitations for a wrongful death claim is only 2 years. To ensure justice for yourself and your loved ones, it is best to initiate a claim soon after the accident.
Contact a Tampa Commercial Truck Accident Attorney
When a large commercial truck is involved in an accident, the truck’s insurance company may retain investigators, lawyers and other representatives to assist with the claim. We are experienced in handling truck accident cases involving catastrophic injuries and wrongful death. If you or a loved one have been involved in a commercial truck accident in Tampa or anywhere else in Florida, contact the Capaz Law Firm at (813) 440-2700 for your free consultation.
Million Dollar Advocates Forum ®
Dereck Capaz is a proud member of the Million Dollar Advocates Forum. The Million Dollar Advocates Forum is one of the most prestigious groups of trial lawyers in the United States.Learn more
Dereck Capaz was selected for inclusion and named in the 2009 – 2015 editions of Florida Super Lawyers.Learn more
AV® Preeminent™ Rated
Dereck Capaz has earned the AV-Preeminent Rating for legal proficiency and ethical standards from Martindale-Hubbell and lawyers.com.Learn more
Truck AccidentsVIEW RESOURCE CENTER
Request your FREE case evaluation today.
Complete the form below for a FREE case evaluation from our experienced team at the Capaz Law Firm.