Lakeland Car Accident Attorney
Maybe it was a Monday morning on your way to work. Perhaps you were driving home from an amazing vacation or a quick run to the grocery store. Whatever you were doing when a negligent driver hit you will likely be etched in your mind for years to come. If you were seriously injured in the crash, turn to a car accident attorney in Lakeland for guidance.
Although our injury lawyers cannot rewind the clock, we can help you navigate the legal system and fight for fair compensation. If you have been injured in an accident, call us at 863-400-6151 to schedule your free case evaluation.
Common Causes of Car Accidents
There are many factors that can lead to auto accidents, but driver negligence is a primary contributor. If you or someone you love was hurt in a crash that another party caused, contact an auto accident lawyer right away to discuss your options.
Here are some of the most common causes of car wrecks in Florida:
- Distracted driving: Today, safe drivers must filter out more distractions than ever before. Cell phones, social media, texting, passengers, pets, food, coffee, GPS systems, and onboard entertainment systems abound. While maintaining focus on the road can be difficult, distraction is never an excuse for causing an accident.
- Driving while under the influence of drugs or alcohol: Drivers can be rendered incapable of operating responsibly due to alcohol and illegal or prescription drugs. Drivers need to know and respect their limits and never get behind the wheel when there’s any question as to if they can operate it safely.
- Speeding: Exceeding the speed limit or going too fast for conditions not only increases the risk of an accident but also makes the injuries and property damage worse when one occurs.
- Running red lights or stop signs: It’s critical that anyone driving a motor vehicle obeys all traffic laws, including stopping at red lights and stop signs. Unfortunately, not doing so often leads to a severe accident.
- Vehicle or part defects: Sometimes motor vehicle accidents aren’t the fault of the driver but rather of the vehicle’s manufacturer. Suppose a car or parts manufacturer made a faulty part that led to a car accident. In that case, they could be liable for any resulting damages.
When you hire an experienced Lakeland car accident lawyer, they can conduct a comprehensive accident investigation, determining how your accident happened and who is at fault. With this knowledge, they can confidently pursue compensation on your behalf.
Types of Car Accident Injuries
Car accidents can cause minor injuries such as bruises, cuts, and scrapes, or severe, life-threatening, or catastrophic injuries, and anything in between. Typically, the more traumatic the accident, the more traumatic the injuries. Injuries might include:
- Broken bones—especially ankles, legs, arms, hands, ribs, and the pelvis
- Head injuries—including traumatic brain injuries (TBI)
- Spine and back injuries—which can lead to temporary or permanent paralysis
- Facial injuries—which can lead to scarring or disfigurement
- Burns—common when the accident results in a fire and can also lead to scarring and disfigurement
- Soft tissue injuries—whiplash is one of the most common types of soft tissue injuries suffered by car accident victims, which sometimes requires a long recovery
- Emotional—ranging from fear of being in another car accident to post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
Anyone suffering serious or catastrophic injuries due to a car accident deserves the opportunity to consult with a skilled Lakeland car accident attorney. By meeting with such an attorney, you can determine how to proceed in seeking the compensation you deserve.
Steps to Take After a Car Accident
It’s never easy to contend with the confusion and anxiety that inevitably follow a serious crash. However, it’s important that you take steps to protect yourself both medically and legally. Even if you think any reasonable person would conclude the other driver was at fault, you should never assume your claim will be easy to win. Likewise, you should never assume that a lack of severe pain indicates you do not need medical attention.
As a car accident attorney in Lakeland, Dereck Capaz has seen firsthand just how easily one small mistake or oversight can negatively impact an auto injury claim. The insurance company and opposing party will be looking for reasons to undervalue or deny your case, so it’s up to you (and your lawyer) to collect the evidence needed and take the required steps to give your case the best chance of success.
Those steps include:
- Call the Police: Contact law enforcement so an officer can create an accident report. This document will serve as a vital starting point for your attorney’s investigation and could help prevent the opposing party from levying unmeritorious accusations.
- Take Photos: Capture pictures of the scene. These images can be assessed by your legal team to uncover facts about the crash such as the speed the vehicles were traveling, the angle of collision, what caused the impact, and who was at fault.
- Talk to Eyewitnesses: You may need the deposition of eyewitnesses to strengthen your case if the other driver disputes your version of events. Be sure to gather their contact information. If they allow, interview them using a cellphone to record their account of events.
- Visit a Doctor: See a healthcare professional for an immediate evaluation. Skipping this step is a common and costly mistake. The insurance company may assert that since you did not visit a doctor, it’s not clear whether your injuries, or their severity, can be attributed to the accident.
- Speak to an Auto Accident Lawyer: You should contact a car accident attorney right away. In fact, all of the steps listed here should be completed on the same day of the crash. Delaying your medical assessment or legal consultation could have a devastating impact on your case.
- Don’t Become Complacent Regarding Your Case: Even if you’ve been diligent in the aftermath of the collision, your claim isn’t over until it’s over. There are countless mistakes you could make that might lead to a dispute, the reduction of your settlement, or the outright denial of your claim. Be sure to adhere to your doctor’s orders, and always follow your attorney’s advice.
Call a Lakeland Car Accident Attorney Today
Car accidents are far too often life-changing events. Whether the implications of your car accident are temporary or permanent, our Lakeland car accident lawyers are ready to stand up for your rights.
We have the expertise, resources, and compassion necessary to represent you during the financial recovery process. At Capaz Law Firm, we offer no-obligation car accident consultations to help you with your next steps. Call our office today at 863-400-6151 or use our online contact form to schedule yours.
Million Dollar Advocates Forum ®
Dereck Capaz is a proud member of the Million Dollar Advocates Forum. The Million Dollar Advocates Forum is one of the most prestigious groups of trial lawyers in the United States.Learn more
Dereck Capaz was selected for inclusion and named in the 2009 – 2015 editions of Florida Super Lawyers.Learn more
AV® Preeminent™ Rated
Dereck Capaz has earned the AV-Preeminent Rating for legal proficiency and ethical standards from Martindale-Hubbell and lawyers.com.Learn more
Request your FREE case evaluation today.
Complete the form below for a FREE case evaluation from our experienced team at the Capaz Law Firm.