What to Do After a Bicycle Accident
If you are injured in a bicycle accident, you have a right to hold the negligent party accountable for your injuries. However, what you do after the accident can make a big difference in your case against a negligent driver. Following these tips and contacting an attorney can help you achieve the best possible resolution.
After an Accident
1. Report the accident to police. Be sure to give police a statement about what happened and request an accident report. Note the name of the officer that helps you and ask for the police report number.
2. Gather witness statements. Get contact information from witnesses and ask them to speak with police about the accident. Witnesses are often vital to the outcome of an accident case.
3. Seek medical attention. Always seek medical attention after any kind of accident, even if you don’t feel seriously injured. Sometimes injuries are immediately apparent, while others require a trained medical professional to diagnose or may not appear until a day or two later.
4. Take photos. Take photos of the scene of the accident, including anything you feel may have contributed to the accident such as a sign or shrubbery that may have blocked your or the driver’s line of sight. Also take photos of yourself to show any injuries you may have sustained, and take photos of any damage to your bicycle.
5. Do not repair your bike. Your damaged bike may be used as evidence in your case.
6. Contact an attorney. As soon as possible, you should contact an attorney who will begin investigating your case and advising you on what to do next. Your attorney can also deal with the insurance companies on your behalf. Do not speak to any insurance companies, even your own, without first seeking legal advice from an attorney. Sadly, insurance companies often try to gather information from you that they can use to deny your claim. An attorney can help protect your best interest and help you hold the responsible party accountable for your injuries.
Contact a Tampa Bicycle Accident Attorney
If you or a loved one has been injured or killed in a bicycle accident, contact an accident attorney at the Capaz Law firm. We are passionate advocates for injured pedestrians, bicyclists and motorcyclists and will fight to get you the compensation you deserve for your injuries. We can also file a wrongful death lawsuit if you’ve lost a loved one in an accident. Call (813) 440-2700 for your free consultation.
Million Dollar Advocates Forum ®
Dereck Capaz is a proud member of the Million Dollar Advocates Forum. The Million Dollar Advocates Forum is one of the most prestigious groups of trial lawyers in the United States.
Dereck Capaz was selected for inclusion and named in the 2009 – 2015 editions of Florida Super Lawyers.
AV® Preeminent™ Rated
Dereck Capaz has earned the AV-Preeminent Rating for legal proficiency and ethical standards from Martindale-Hubbell and lawyers.com.