Tampa Bicycle Accident Attorney
A leisurely bike ride in Florida can quickly become disastrous if a motor vehicle driver fails to follow the law or carelessly ignores a bicyclist on the road. In mere seconds, one driver’s negligence can cause a collision that leaves a bicyclist with severe injuries such as lacerations, broken bones, head injuries, neck and back injuries, paralysis or death.
At the Capaz Law Firm, we are dedicated to holding at-fault parties accountable for injuries caused to bicyclist and will fight to get you fair compensation for your medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering. You shouldn’t have to pay for someone else’s negligence.
Bicycle Accident Statistics
Unfortunately, bicycle accidents in Florida are quite common. According to the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles 2011 Florida Crash Statistics Report:
- 4,632 bicyclists were injured
- 120 bicyclists were fatally injured
- 21 of the 120 fatalities occurred in Tampa Bay (Hernando, Hillsborough, Pasco and Pinellas counties)
Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents
Though there are Florida laws to protect bicyclists from motor vehicles, those laws aren’t always followed. Other times a bicycle accident is caused by unsafe roads or problems with equipment. An experienced bicycle accident attorney can thoroughly analyze your case to determine who’s responsible for your accident.
Bicycle accidents are often caused by a negligent or inattentive driver who:
- Fails to yield at an intersection
- Fails to stop at a stop sign or red light
- Fails to look both ways before resuming driving after a stop sign
- Fails to yield the right-of-way
- Turns or pulls into traffic directly in front of a bicyclist
- Drives past a bicyclist without paying attention
- Drives in a lane designated for bicyclist
- Opens the door of a parked vehicle directly in a bicyclists path
- Talks or texts on a cell phone while driving
- Drives under the influence of drugs or alcohol
Other causes of bike accidents include:
- Poorly maintained roads
- Poorly lit roadways
- Poor roadway design regarding bicycle safety
- Bicycle malfunction
- Helmet failure
What to Do After a Bicycle Accident
If you’ve been in a bicycle accident, it’s important to seek legal representation. The motor vehicle driver and their insurance company will likely try to blame you for the accident in an attempt to avoid or limit liability. Don’t let them intimidate you into thinking the accident is your fault just because you were on a bicycle.
Immediately after an accident, follow the same procedure as a regular motor vehicle accident: call the police, seek medical attention, gather witness statements, keep your bike unrepaired to use as evidence, take photos of the accident scene, and contact a lawyer.
Tampa Personal Injury Lawyer
Dereck Capaz is an experienced bicycle accident attorney who understands the unique aspects of bicycle accident cases, including:
- Florida vehicle laws regarding bicyclists
- Proper roadway design regarding bicyclists
- Bicycle design and common manufacturing issues
- Bicycle accident reconstruction
Contact a Bicycle Accident Lawyer in Tampa
If you or a loved one has been involved in a bicycle accident, contact the Capaz Law Firm. The Capaz Law Firm is dedicated to defending the rights of bicyclists and will fight to hold the responsible party accountable for your injuries. Call (813) 440-2700 for your free consultation.
Million Dollar Advocates Forum ®
Dereck Capaz is a proud member of the Million Dollar Advocates Forum. The Million Dollar Advocates Forum is one of the most prestigious groups of trial lawyers in the United States.
Dereck Capaz was selected for inclusion and named in the 2009 – 2015 editions of Florida Super Lawyers.
AV® Preeminent™ Rated
Dereck Capaz has earned the AV-Preeminent Rating for legal proficiency and ethical standards from Martindale-Hubbell and lawyers.com.