Each year, there are thousands of motorcycle accidents in Florida that result in serious injuries. When you’re out on the open road, follow these important motorcycle safety tips to help avoid an accident and to be better protected in the event one does occur.
Make Yourself More Visible
Motorcycle accidents often occur because motorcycles are much smaller than other vehicles and other drivers don’t see them on the road. To help avoid a collision, make yourself and your bike as visible as possible.
- Wear brightly-colored clothing with reflective decals or materials.
- Paint your motorcycle an eye-catching color and add magnetic reflector strips that make your bike easier to detect at night.
- Use your bright lights during the day.
- Avoid riding in other drivers’ blind spots.
Wear Protective Gear
Motorcycles don’t offer the same protection as other vehicles. Without a roof, doors and airbags, there’s nothing between the motorcyclists and the road in the event of an accident. This makes wearing protective gear extremely important for helping to minimize injury.
- Always wear a helmet. Look for one that meets federal safety standards, indicated by a DOT label.
- Always wear protective clothing such as Kevlar or leather to protect your skin from road rash, which can be quite serious and lead to infection and even nerve damage.
Accidents are often caused by negligent drivers who fail to look for motorcycles, who drive under the influence of drugs and alcohol, or who are distracted by cell phones or other activities in their vehicles. Approach intersections with caution and be on the lookout for drivers who seem distracted or intoxicated.
Contact a Tampa Motorcycle Accident Attorney
If you or a loved one has been seriously injured in a motorcycle accident caused by a negligent driver, contact a motorcycle accident attorney at the Capaz Law Firm. We are passionate advocates for injured pedestrians, bicyclists and motorcyclists and will fight to get you the compensation you deserve for your injuries. Call (813) 440-2700 for your free consultation.
Learn more about Tampa motorcycle accidents:
- Tampa Motorcycle Accident Attorney
- Florida Motorcycle Accident Statistics
- Motorcycle Accident Injuries
- What to do After a Motorcycle Accident
Million Dollar Advocates Forum ®
Dereck Capaz is a proud member of the Million Dollar Advocates Forum. The Million Dollar Advocates Forum is one of the most prestigious groups of trial lawyers in the United States.
Dereck Capaz was selected for inclusion and named in the 2009 – 2015 editions of Florida Super Lawyers.
AV® Preeminent™ Rated
Dereck Capaz has earned the AV-Preeminent Rating for legal proficiency and ethical standards from Martindale-Hubbell and lawyers.com.